Thursday, July 23, 2009

Catch Those Stem Cells!

The apheresis technician has been able to collect about half of the stem cells that I need for a transplant using an apheresis machine which basically withdraws my blood through a central line in my chest, puts the blood through a centrifuge, and collects stem cells. The remaining blood minus stem cells is returned to me. Two of the days that I was scheduled to have collection (apheresis) of my stem cells my lab results were not high enough to collect. Another day I had a fever and had to go back to the hospital (and stayed for 5 days).

Here is a great article about the transplant process from the National Cancer Institute - www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/therapy/bone-marrow-transplant and the lyphomainfo webpage - www.lyphomainfo.net/therapy/transplants/bmt.html

No comments:

Post a Comment