Monday, May 11, 2009

Neutropenia

I have blood siphoned from my body regularly. A few days ago a lab tech remarked, "It's a wonder that you still have any blood!" Last week my blood counts were too low to have chemotherapy and the chemo had to be postponed a week. This is not a good thing. The cancer is growing without a regular infusion of the chemo drugs.

I was neutropenic (new-tro-pee-nic) last week. My neutrophils were abnormally low. Neutrophils are white blood cells that serve as the major defense of my body against acute bacterial and certain fungal infections. When this happens, I have to take extra precautions. I can't be around any sick people and I have to wear a mask when I leave my room at the hospital or leave my home. I can't eat any fresh fruit or vegetables (unless they have thick skins like melons or bananas and are washed with soap and water), or be around fresh flowers or plants because they might harbor fungi. I can only drink bottled water. The dietary restrictions were the hardest part for me because I love fresh fruit!

No comments:

Post a Comment