Saturday, January 3, 2009

Courage

I don't feel very courageous. I'm burrowing my head in the sand and ignoring the reality of my situation. It's easy to do. I've been reading Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott and I like her quote "...courage is hope that has said its prayers." The thing is I don't feel much like praying. I feel like ignoring my entire situation, and if I ignore my situation, then I don't need to pray.

Jim and I have started reading Celtic Daily Prayer: Prayers and Readings from the Northumbria Community in the mornings and when we go to bed at night. He reads and I listen, closing my eyes to fully concentrate on the words. In the Daily Office: Morning Prayer, there is a canticle that has started to penetrate my resistance.

Christ, as a light
illumine and guide me.
Christ, as a shield
overshadow me.
Christ under me;
Christ over me;
Christ beside me
on my left and my right.
This day be within and without me...

For now, all I can do is listen to the prayers in the Daily Office.

5 comments:

  1. The Lord understands how you are feeling even the inability to pray, don't worry, many are praying on your behalf, lifting you up before a Mighty and Compassionate God! Know that you are not alone...ever!!!
    God bless and keep you. Numbers 6:24-26
    Love and prayers, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. May God grant you peace knowing that He is with you always... You are in my prayers and others. Have Faith!
    God Bless you!
    Love, Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. While you are not able to pray for yourself, you should know that a friend of a friend of a friend is praying for you. That's me. I can ring a bell in your name while you're unable, knowing that with God's grace, someday you'll ring a bell for someone else.

    God bless you and your husband.

    Vanessa Pierson, in Kansas City, Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  4. to my dear sister, Denise...
    I do not understand why, but I do know and you know the One we can trust even when our vision is dim and our eyes are clouded. He does hold our hands through the pain and suffering. As we all well know our God is not a magician, and there is no magic lantern to rub to make things go away. I know in my own life I have said, "life can be hell, but God is still good." My prayer for you, dear sister, is that God will strengthen your feet, that He will remind you of Himself, that He will comfort you when you are scared. That you will see the saints gathered together on their knees before the very throne of God praying on your behalf. Trust Him. You are not alone. With all my love, the sister that couldn't help teasing you but never stopped loving you... Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my wonderful professor! I cannot remember when I have prayed for someone so diligently. I am glad your are journaling. It will make it easier for you if you decide to write a book when you join the Women of Faith (my dream for you) and proclaim the greatness of GOD to thousands of women each week. I used to think you and Jim would be great at providing marriage counseling. Now, GOD may use your suffering in ways we cannot even imagine.

    You truly are one of the most organized women I know. That is why you were my favorite professor. I will not tell the world that I had to work extra hard in your class because you are a tough grader…the hardest I had. I will tell the world that you were always prepared and you "know" your stuff. I praise God for being finished with my degree, but I also praise God that you were my teacher. I have met very few people in my life that I love and respect the "complete" person…Denise…you are one of the few.

    You are a strong woman and if you need someone to laugh with, call me. If you need someone to cry with, call me. If you need someone to pray for you…I am. Anything you or Jim need, I will be there.

    With hugs, love and respect

    Tina Sampson

    P.S. do not check for grammar or spelling errors. Ha…hugs tina

    ReplyDelete